Fast facts for your off-grid project
These fact sheets contain a mix of specific project facts, general design principles, some product and technology comparisons as well as legal and technical information. There are links to other fact sheets and resources on other websites I run - one for cooling cities by cooling streets, and another site selling a product designed to cool down car parks, school yards, streets and open spaces, called ecoPOPs.
I’m delighted to receive new information on projects, products and ideas and welcome any feedback which is focussed on improving the conservation of energy, water, soil, food, land and farming. If you have any suggestions for additional fact sheets, please share your ideas with me (email@example.com).
From pools to ponds - how to avoid pumps, chlorine: This fact sheet has examples of swimming pools converted to ponds which are cleaned by plants instead of pumps and chlorine. For more facts and examples from Ku-ring-gai Council here's a link to its pools to ponds programme.
tHE KYLIE OFF-GRID PROJECT
- Simple streetgarden outside Kylie's off-grid house: I share the basic principles and staggering figures about the drain garden I designed to divert rainwater runoff and harvest it to water plants and trees.
- Is city rainwater safe to drink: many people think city rainwater isn't safe to drink, but I explain the rainwater tank system designed for Kylie's house and how multiple tests have shown how clean her water will be.
- Estimating Kylie's energy and water usage: using knowledge about Kylie's general behaviours and the appliances she chose, I estimate the amount of water and electricity she will use every year and show you how much that would cost her every year if she weren't off-grid.
Product and technology comparisons
- Lead acid vs lithium-ion batteries: a broken down comparison of two popular battery types by categories like life cycle and performance, environmental impact and safety as well as comments from colleagues at Off-Grid Energy
Cooling your street and reducing your energy bills
Two ways to cool your street: an explanation (incorporating scientific research) of how two of my products, streetgardens and ecoPOPs, can help cool your street and reduce your energy bills.
oTHER fact sheets coming soon
- Off-grid costs
- Reducing waste
- Future plumbing to disconnect from sewage
- Efficient appliances
- Off-grid solar
- Low energy hot water system
- Red tape
- Off-grid solutions