The Low-bills Living Course
I’m Michael Mobbs, the Off-grid Guy.
Since 1996 my four-person household has had energy and water bills less than $300 a year.
Even when my two children were 6 and 10 years old, when the clothes washing machine went every other day, the bills here were less than $300 a year.
This course is offered by me to anyone who wants to live with low bills.
You need no special skills or qualifications. The appliances, materials and designs are ordinary. Local trades can install and maintain them.
A low bills house is easy to build and to live in. You can expect energy and water bills less than $1000 for a four-person household.
We can go low bills in steps.
Rule of thumb: if you spend about $20,000 you will save $2000 to $4,000 a year in energy and water bills; spend about $10,000 and your savings will be about $1,000 to $2,000 a year.
We’ll choose options you prefer to start getting low household energy and water bills.
We’ll identify the details and options for your project. I’ll share the must-do's, the options, the mistakes, and cost saving examples.
In four days over four weeks you’ll see, smell, practice, learn-by-doing and working in a small, focussed group.
There’s a maximum of nine people plus me, with some experienced visiting guest teachers - a builder, plumber, solar installer, story-teller, and food providore.
By spreading the four course days out the course gives you time to think about the information, to develop questions and ideas.
By the end of the course you will:
- be data-rich, confident and focussed about your project;
- have created a draft budget;
- have a list of appliances, products and materials (insulation, timber, steel, masonry) of what you need and will work for your project;
- decide where you wish to begin – you’ll probably have begun already;
- have a list of tradespeople and other contacts;
- decided if you will seek price reductions by buying with others, for example, whether you will buy a solar system designed for your house but reduced in price because you will buy in a small group from the one installer;
- located farmers who can supply you with healthy, nutritious food;
- begun to turn your waste food into soil by composting;
- have had four days of intense interaction with a maximum of eight other course participants, myself and guest teachers, plus our contacts and tips
- received special inclusions with a total value of $200:
- Morning tea and lunch included
- Created draft water, recycled water, materials, energy and food design options for your house;
- Enjoyed a truly unique opportunity to develop your ideas, and to compare and to discuss your choices and needs with those sharing your course.
Course venue and outline
Four day course; conducted in Sydney’s Sustainable House, Chippendale, Sydney - experience an off-grid house:
- Building and design concepts, approvals, costs
- Contract options, draft conditions of approval
- How to make a budget
- How to survive red tape *
- Design options for water, recycled water, grey water, materials, cool/warm house, healthy house, recycled materials, insulation options
- Potential to reduce prices, and to share tradespeople contacts
- Potential to buy in bulk by buying with your fellow course members or friends; for example, by buying solar systems (tailor-made to your project) with other course members or friends
Who is this course for?
This course is for you if you are interested in:
- Low household energy and water bills
- Deciding where to start your project for having low energy and water bills year after year
- Going off-grid, partly off-grid, or simply having low energy and water bills
- Learning with others so you, too, can show your friends and others how to use what fall for free from the sky – the rain, the sun’s light and heat, and the wind that blows
- Developing contacts with builders, plumbers, solar installers
- Minor, partial or total renovation or new build
- All the appliances, systems can be fitted into existing or new buildings.
Preparation, fact sheets and course materials
Upon enrolment and payment:
- Initial course materials are provided by email to enable you to begin preparing for the course
- You provide me basic information I need to help you prepare your budget during the course and to begin developing concepts for low bills living; for example, property location, your budget so far, list of priorities so far, bills showing how much energy and water you use
- Materials are supplemented during the course with further notes, fact sheets
- At the first day you receive a copy of Sustainable House and Sustainable Food
Off-grid scholarship offered for two people living outside Sydney
I offer two scholarships for two people living at least 100 kilometres outside Sydney to do the July 2017 course by distance for no fees and by using Skype from your home to join lessons being delivered in my house.
Details of the scholarship will be published on my blog soon.
Both course members and scholarship holders will be welcome to contact me during and after the course for no additional fee.
The next course will be over these four dates:
- 22/23 July 2017
- 5/6 August 2017
$990 (incl GST) per person
Note: the course is limited to a maximum of nine people.
Please consider carefully as we are unable to offer refunds for course cancellations after enrollment.
Couples; by arrangement by email; $900 for first person, $400 for the second person arranged by email.
I live in Chippendale, Sydney, in Sydney’s Sustainable House. Here’s a 2 minute 20 second video about the place.
I grew up on the Lachlan river, downstream from Forbes, NSW, and went to Yanco Agricultural High School. I remember the 1956 flood when we didn’t get off the farm for four months.
Perhaps it was this beginning which led me in 1996 to disconnect my inner city terrace from town water and sewer and install a solar system - to do in the city what farmers do in the country every day. With two young kids the washing machine went every other day but in the 21 years since no stormwater or sewage has left the clay soil site where it’s been absorbed below ground; over 2 million litres of stormwater and 2 million litres of recycled sewage has been kept here on a site 5 m wide by 30 m long and in about 8 m2 of back yard soil.
Water and energy bills have stayed at less than $300 a year since 1996.
I look forward to sharing my mistakes, data, stories, and to hearing about your plans for your household, your water and energy bills, and to working with you so you, too, may have a simple, low bills household.
* I practised environmental law for 19 years and will share practical, proven tips about solutions to red tape - about how not to be a victim of complex laws and unhelpful administrators of them, all of which unnecessarily hinder low bills living, efficient design and development, healthy design, healthy materials.